Monday, March 31, 2014

Week 6 - Patience, Patience, and Then More Patience

Hello everyone! 

I am finally in Ecuador! How crazy is that?! Okay, so when I first arrived, the heat absolutely took me by surprise. It is soo hot here, and soo humid. We cannot even wear our hair down (I hate wearing my hair up!) because it gets frizzy and sticky. So gross! My first day was great. We went to the mission home and ate and stuff like that. The next day we got our companions. I am with Hermana Peralta. She speaks only Spanish, so communicating with her can be hard. She is 22 and from Argentina. In July she will go home. I love watching her teach because it is so natural for her, and I learn so much...when I can understand. She has been training her whole time here, so she was hoping not to be a trainer. I feel bad! Spanish...ahh! I can hardly understand anything here. I can understand gospel words, and that is about it. They speak SOO much faster than my mom´s family does, and they cut out most of their letters. So it is a bunch of mumbling! We live with another companionship. One of the Hermanas is from Utah, she has only been out 3 months and is already a trainer! When I asked her and other Americans for advice on learning, they said to pray for patience, and then pray again, and then some more. Ah! I want to learn things right now, but I know I have to have patience :) 

Our apartment is nice...but there is TINY brown bugs that run around everywhere, kind of gross! We wash our clothes by hand, so that is a fun new experience. My sector right now is right in Guayaquil. There are so many bugs, and no matter how much repelant I wear, I come home covered in bug bites. I have seen two rats here..gross! Iguanas are everywhere, they are pretty fun to look at! The streets here are pretty dirty and have random holes everywhere! If you are lucky, they will be covered with a piece of wood. People are crazy drivers, and I constantly feel like I am going to get hit by a car! There are lots of hills here, and soo many stairs too. I am going to come home with muscle legs! Haha! We make our own breakfast, and then a member feeds us lunch everyday. Some food is good, some is...well...not so good. We have white rice with every meal, and then meat, that is usually salty, and vegetables. Sometimes they give us a drink that is similar to apple sauce, but it is soo sweet/sour/weird! and it has corn things in it..hahah way different than anything I have ever had. They feed us SOO much, and eating it all is hard because we have to eat so quickly. The members are so nice though, I really like them.Everyone here loves everyone, and I think it is funny that the woman always greet with a kiss when everyone is so sweaty and gross! Ha oh well :) We have little vans that take us to the top of the hills, and you sit practically on other people's laps. No personal space here! Most of the homes are made of cement, and because nobody has airconditioning, many do not have doors or glass windows, just bars! OH! The other day I was in a house, and it started shaking, I think they were yelling "earthquake" but I am not really sure! Oh well, I am alive :)

We met a man named Jose yesterday and I asked him to be baptized, he said yes, and then I could not understand anything else! I was so excited though! We also have a 15 year old boy who is supposed to be baptized the 29th of this month. He did not come to church though, so I do not know if he will be able to. It is hard to find people to teach here because most people work in the city and live somewhere else. Hopefully we can find more people, and hopefully I can learn the language quickly! Anyways, all is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment