Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Week 3 - Halfway There!

Hello everyone! 

This week was awesome...except I was DYING to find out where Kenzie had been called to! I'm soo jelous of the people in Dallas Texas because they get to be with my best friend for a year and a half! 

On Valentines Day my teachers kept asking me if I had family in Mexico City. Every time I said no, they seemed weirded out, and I was weirded out too! Haha well later that day, I got called down to the reception center. No one ever gets called down there, unless they're in trouble, so I was SO nervous. Guess what?! They gave me an order of roses from my dad! It completely made my day, and then a little while later they called me down to the post office. He sent me chocolates too! Best Dad ever award!!! :) 

My companion is hilarious. It's kind of a problem, because sometimes when we teach our "investigators" (my teachers) we can't stop laughing! This week after we taught one of our teachers, she pulled us aside and told us our Spanish and our lesson was the best she has heard from us the whole time we have been here. I was so happy!! For sacrament meeting, we all write talks and then people are randomly selected to give them. I can understand the Americans who speak Spanish, but usually not the natives. Guess what?! This last Sunday I understood almost EVERYTHING! The gift of tongues is real :) The temple is closed for remodeling, but today we got to go to the visitors center. It was AMAZING! I want to go back when I can go through! Oh, and I understood all of the Spanish there too! Our Latina friends left for their missions yesterday, and it was so sad. I have come to absolutely love those girls. Luckily new ones come today, and I'm sure they will be just as great :)

 The Mexican food tasted like rubber this week, and the American food was good! It was strange. I helped in the cafeteria for a service project this week, and now I am SO much more grateful for those workers. I had to wrap probably 300 burritos (maybe that is why the Mexican food tasted weird) and it was hard work!! I cannot believe they do that everyday! We have really funny experiences with Spanish all of the time. One elder in my district kept mixing up the words "better" and "woman" in our lesson, and ended up saying some not-so-good things! When the Latino Elders don't think we understand them, they will tell us they want to marry us and things like that. We respond in Spanish and they are so embarrassed! One elder told us that his dad was 86 and he has 24 siblings. We figured that we were not understanding him correctly, so we clarified with him for a good 10 minutes! His dad is indeed 86, and he does have 24 siblings. Kind of crazy! Everyone LOVES looking at pictures of my family. No one can believe how tall my dad is. All of the Hermanas want to marry my brothers, and none of them believe Ben is only 14. Oh my! Embarrassing story time. In one of the bathrooms, the doors do not lock! Well the other day, I got one to lock and I was so excited!...then I realized it was permanently locked! I was locked in the stall! The hermanas in my district and I were laughing SO hard! I had to do some crazy ninjas skills to get myself out of there! Our district saying is, "Remember the people." I love it! Whenever things get hard around here, we just have to remember the people who we are preparing to serve, and that makes it so much easier! Things here are still great! I cannot believe I have been here for 3 weeks! Time is flying by :) Well, I love you all and hope you have a great week!

Love, Hermana Roestenburg 








No comments:

Post a Comment